If your cat is behaving strangely, he or she may need medical care. One common disease in cats is Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD), which you may be able to diagnose yourself.
According to Scientific Professional Cat Litter--Drs Foster & Smith, your cat may have an infection if he or she:
- Urinates frequently or has problems urinating
- Deviates from usual litter box habits
- Leaves blood or blood-tinged urine in the litter box.
- Paces restlessly
- Cleans his/her genitals frequently
- Rests on cool surfaces such as bathtubs or tile floors
They go on to say that cats previously treated for FLUTD are very susceptible to and are at the highest risk for recurrence. Neutered males are also at very high risk due to the physiology of the male cat's narrower urethra.
Scientific Professional Cat Litter is a lightweight cat litter formulated to indicate high urine pH by changing color. High urine pH can be one cause of urinary problems in cats.
- Ultra lightweight - 70% lighter than clay
- Virtually dust- and tracking-free
- 3 lbs of this litter works like 21 lbs of clay litter
- Clumping, flushable
- Ecologically friendly
Note: This litter should be used under the supervision of your veterinarian.
Available at Scientific Professional Cat Litter--Amazon and Scientific Professional Cat Litter--Drs Foster & Smith
June 23, 2008
Wild animals are thought to heal themselves by eating plants that they are drawn to intuitively in their surrounding environment. Herbs and plants have healing powers, and many modern medicines are plant derivatives. This science has been around for eons. Here are two books on the subject.
Veterinary Herbal Medicine
By Dr. Susan Wynn and Dr. Barbara Fougere
Written by two prominent veterinarians, this full-color reference offers practical, evidence-based guidance on using more than 120 medicinal plants, including how to formulate herbal remedies to treat common disease conditions. A body-systems based review explores herbal medicine in context, offering information on toxicology, drug interactions, quality control, and other key topics.
All You Ever Wanted to Know About Herbs for Pets
By Mary Wulff-Tilford and Gregory L. Tilford
This comprehensive guide offers step-by-step instructions on how to find, prepare, and use herbs to treat common pet ailments. The book covers North American herbs, including Western, Ayurvedic and Chinese herbs that grow in North America. It also provides detailed information on each herb.
[via Christie Keith @ SFGate]
One thing about pets is they usually don't exactly savor their food. If you have a pet that eats too fast, this Brake-Fast Bowl should improve their table manners. They have to work around the prongs and can't engulf the food quite so fast. Hopefully they will feel fuller and not want to eat so much.
- Helps reduce the risk of Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus, aka Gastric Torsian or 'Bloat')
- Slower eating makes an animal feel more full and reduces instances of 're-eating'
- Veterinarian tested and recommended
- Works with kibble or canned food
- Elegant, no-tip shape
- Durable, dishwasher safe plastic
Small: 1-1/2 cups for small breeds, flat face breeds & cats.
Medium: 5 cups (for Beagle to Bernese Mt. Dog).
Large: 8 cups (for giant breeds).
June 20, 2008
Rodent and bird droppings have allegedly been found throughout a PETCO warehouse, according to MSNBC: Pet food seized at PETCO warehouse
CHICAGO - Federal marshals carrying a search warrant visited the Joliet distribution center of PETCO Animal Supplies Inc. on Thursday, seizing animal food products that were allegedly contaminated.
The seizure came one day after the government filed a lawsuit and obtained the warrant to seize products at the warehouse operated by the San Diego-based animal food and supply company.
There were no known public health risks posed by the pet food and no incidents of human or animal illness have been traced to the products, U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald and other officials said in a statement issued by his office.
The center distributes pet food to Illinois, Alabama, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.
June 19, 2008
Why protect your pets from the sun? Reasons:
- To prevent sunburn and the associated pain
- Protect against the development of malignant skin tumors
- Prevent skin inflammation that can lead to dermatitis and aggravate pre-existing skin disease
Sun protection is recommended for the following pets:
- Short and thin haired pets
- White and light haired pets
- White and pink skinned pets
- Hairless dog breeds
- Breeds predisposed to skin tumors (i.e. boxers, dobermans, bull dogs, pit bull terriers, bull terriers, bichons, poodles, schnauzers and others)
- Outside living pets
- Shaved down pets
- Pets with allergic and inflamed skin
- Working dogs
- All pets subjected to excessive sun exposure as during activities such as boating, hiking, visits to the dog park, walking and visits to the beach.
For the outdoor pet, 3 ways to protect:
1- Shade and Cool Water
Available all day long. Seems obvious, but must be said.
Epi-Pet Sun Protector Sunscreen Spray for Pets is the only pet sunscreen that meets the FDA guidelines for ingredient stability. Features:
- Quick Dry Formulation
- Non-Greasy, it doesn't leave an oily film like human sunscreens
- Includes sunscreen ingredients that rate equivalent to 30-40 SPF in human sunscreens
- Effective in blocking both UVA and UVB sun rays
- Spray can is environmentally friendly and it provides a constant spray from all angles
- Contains vitamin E and other ingredients that act as antioxidants and enrich skin
- Leaves a pleasant vanilla fragrance
At Super Cool Pets we also like Doggles Sunscreen, available at Amazon along with Uvet Sunscreen Spray
Another method of pet sun protection is the UV Protective Rashguard for Dogs. Features:
- UPF 50+ Rated/UV protective shirt
- High Quality UV protective fabric and construction
- Fast drying and keeps the coat nice and clean
UV Protective Rashguard for Dogs is available in sizes Small to XX Large at Muttropolis -- $5 flat rate shipping for a limited time!
Quality Patriotic Themed Collars for Dogs to celebrate the upcoming July 4th festivities.
Small: 1/2" width, fits 7" - 11" neck
Medium: 3/4" width, fits 11" - 15" neck
Large: 1" width, fits 15" - 22" neck
X-Large: 1" width, fits 19" - 29" neck
The themed fabric collars encase durable nylon webbing and are fully adjustable with welded metal D-rings on the collars. Pair it with a Patriotic Themed Lead. The leads have heavy-duty swivel snap locks to ensure a secure collar-lead connection.
Available dog sizes:
4' x 1/2"
4' x 3/4"
4' x 1"
6' x 1/2"
6' x 3/4"
6' x 1"
Patriotic Collars for Cats come in one size: 3/8" width, fits 7" - 11" neck. The break-away buckles on the cat collars pull apart at about five pounds.
All collars and leads are hand- or machine wash and dry. Handcrafted in the USA.
June 18, 2008
This lightweight, manageable Wooden Ramp makes getting up or down easy for cats and dogs. The ramp enables your pet to enter and exit vehicles or climb stairways as high as three steps.
- Constructed of solid eucalyptus wood
- Covers a 60" span
- Folds in half to form two 30" sections
- Weighs just 12 lbs making it easy to transport
- 80 lb. capacity
The Wooden Ramp
is an attractive, lightweight ramp not suitable for heavy, larger dogs above 80 lbs. Eucalyptus wood rivals teak in terms of durability and will remain beautiful and functional for years to come.
For heavier dogs -- Telescoping Pet Ramp.
If you need a pool ramp, very affordable Skamper Ramp.
Who doesn't love functional art for their home? This eco-friendly Marmalade Wall Flower Cat Scratcher fits the bill for your cat:
- Sleek functional cardboard cat scratcher
- Made with ecologically friendly materials
- Unique contours appropriate for cats
- Extra durable cardboard provides an extra long use period
- 100% recyclable at the end of its lifecycle
- Can be used as a stand-alone scratcher on the floor
- Firm balance, will not tilt in use by a cat
- Scratching surface measures 3 feet long and is reversible
Wall Flower Wall Clips are sold separately for the vertical installation of Marmalade Wall Flower CatScratcher.
Go green -- available in Lime at Amazon and Lime, Sky and Rust at Only Natural Pet Store.
June 17, 2008
Not sure what to buy your cat? Below is a toy that appeals to your cat's hunting instincts.
Panic Mouse Undercover Mouse is so lifelike it convinces your cat there's a live mouse in the house. The stealthy movements of the mouse will stimulate your cat's hunter/predator instinct to secure the catch and provide hours of fun.
The toy moves silently--randomly speeding up, then slowing down, reversing direction under a durable nylon cover. The kit Includes:
- One Undercover Mouse electronic cat toy
- One ripstop nylon skirt
- One mouse wand
Why is the Panic Mouse Undercover Mouse such a popular cat toy? Here are some tips for choosing cat toys:
- Appeal to the hunting instinct "Cats like to track things, so they love any toy that brings out their hunting instinct," says Michele Levan, creator of the award-winning Moody Pet Fling-ama-String Motorized Cat Toy toy.
- Hold your cat's interest "It's good for indoor cats especially to have something besides food to interest them," says Tina Cheng, DVM, of the Animal Clinic of Encino in Encino, Calif. "Cats are attracted to motion -- they will always love anything that bounces around and simulates the movement of a live insect or mouse," she says.
- Safety first "A toy shouldn't have any little eyes or a nose that a cat could pull off and choke on," says Maria Sabatine, owner of Pets Naturally, a pet store in Sherman Oaks, Calif.
- Don't make it too frustrating
- Intrigue fat and lazy cats " A toy that intrigues a cat enough to stalk it, pounce on it or toss it in the air is a worthwhile investment, especially if your kitty is overweight. Cat Dancer Cat Toy, described as a "cat action toy," features a small piece of cardboard the size of a large insect. It dangles from a wire and so fascinates cats that they'll stand on their hind feet to swipe at it.
- Make it fun for people A cat toy should give you hours of fun watching your cat play with it.
June 16, 2008
This Safety Turtle Pet Immersion Alarm alerts you if your pet falls in the water, say into the pool or off the boat. Your dog or cat may be able to swim, but can drown in no time if not trained to how get out of the pool or floundering in the pond or ocean. The Safety Turtle can be used in all fresh water as well as salt. The Safety Turtle Alarm system consists of:
The Safety Turtle Swimming Pool Alarm Base Station is placed inside the house, boat or anywhere within 100 feet of the pool or body of water. The Safety Turtle Wireless Pet Adaptor is attached to your pet's collar or Life Vest.
If your pet enters into the water, a loud alarm will sound at the Base Station (when the Turtle is immersed in water). The alarm continues to sound until it is reset. Rain, light spray or ground moisture won't trigger the alarm. The Turtle is small and light enough to be worn by the tiniest dog or cat.
Also available are Turtle Wristbands sold separately for children. Any number of Turtle Wristbands of the same color can be used with one Base Station.
As an extra precaution, Safety Turtle Wireless Gate Alarm can be installed on any wood or metal gate. It never needs to be disabled--it has an adult bypass feature, so pets and children will set the alarm off while adults will not. The Safety Turtle Gate Alarm is sold separately and must be used in conjunction with the Safety Turtle Swimming Pool Alarm Base Station.
Visit the website for detailed information.